Skaldsong Records

Author Topic: Experimental story time stuff  (Read 199 times)

Offline Snowflake

• Administrator
Experimental story time stuff
« on: January 16, 2019, 04:21:40 PM »
Okay, so I've had an idea rattling around in my head for a bit.

A lot of the stuff that happens in chat is quite large impact - the main characters in stories are relatively quite well informed, they have the assistance of wealthy and powerful people, and they are about saving the world essentially. There's nothing wrong with that of course, it makes for some great stories....But what about the little people?

I had this idea that I would run some 'low level' events where we can look at people who don't have authority, or power or money necessarily, who still have things happen.

Another thought that came to me was that we have a lot of gaps in the world - we don't know a lot about what kind of places or people live in each area, and that would be some neat world-building stuff. As such I thought about how to combine these things.

Which brings me (rambling) to the point of this thread.

I propose to run some events that are lower on the societal chain that will assist with world-building. A recent event has sent a criminal running? Who might we go and ask about that? Maybe there's a guy in a shady tavern who knows about criminals around here - Boom, you helped create an npc and/or location just by rping, and helped fill out the world. You won't be saving the world, but you will take part in events that will be part of the world's history - the time you helped fend off juggling bears in a riot will be there in world history, enriching the setting.

My question to you, is if you are interested in this kind of thing, and would want to explore it more?

Q&A:

What is this?
I intend to run some events that focus on the more 'average people' of the world, and the events that effect them, and the world, but tend to get lost in the bigger stuff

Average? Does that mean I have to play a dirt-farming peasant?
No, it just means people who have more mundane lives, and are not connected to wealth, power or money in a way that is easily accessible to them. There might be people of power involved, but the solution to a situation should probably not be "I'm going to tell the Prima, I know her" lol. This one is pretty negotiable really

So set me up, give me a slice of what might happen?
1. Okay, so for example, you could find yourself, along with a group of other players, stuck in a situation. In this example, packs of wild dogs/wolves/rabbits or whatever have been causing problems lately, the guard do not have the spare manpower or time to chase beasts across the countryside all the time, so this group of beasts has gotten bold.

2.So for whatever reason, you have volunteered to look into this - maybe there's a guy who knows about animals who you can ask. If you choose to look around, then boom, I will create an npc and or location that will help you continue your adventure.

3. That guy you found -who happens to be a trapper, in this instance - just now thinks that these animals are acting too smart and organised for what they are, he's seen them being selective about targets in a way that doesn't make sense. He can tell you where he's seen them running around though...

And so on - chunks of story mixed with organic world building.

Will there be rewards?
Items, gold, badges and more may be available depending on what you do, and how.

But I don't like fighting D:
That's not a question. That aside, not all of them will be about fighting - I would hope that people will choose to explore a bunch of options through means other than "I cast sword"

When will these things happen?
When people are around.

But what if my character gets busy?
This is why I recommend relatively unknown characters for this exercise, don't commit someone to a story that you want to have a lot of freedom.

What about those dice rolls huh?
When I arbitrate things in chat, I usually just have people roll and eyeball it. For some things I use a tabletop rpg called open legend though. It's very simple and very customisable, you can make any character with it. If you want to make a sheet to use, I will help you do so (note: you don't need one if you don't want one). Skald has never played a tabletop rpg like d&d and she picked it up super fast, so no need to be afraid of it, if you're curious

I have other questions D:
Then fire me a message and I'll answer as best I can. You can DM me on discord with any questions or to throw your hand in for testing this highly experimental idea out.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:59:00 PM by Snowflake »

Offline aipsylon

• Battaglia Militancy
Re: Experimental story time stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 05:59:24 PM »
I have a character Osazses, a simply guide, a snake man.  I'd be up for some scenes with him at some point.

Offline Amara

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:57:23 PM »
I have a character I can throw in :)  so count me in!

Offline Retro

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 07:30:36 PM »
Plenty of mundane charas here.

Offline Witchcrafted

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 10:40:54 PM »
I'll throw Mino in!

Offline Kodiak

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 12:46:44 PM »
 :D I'm sure Tearteeth will have a blast!