Skaldsong Records

 

Author Topic: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)  (Read 1002 times)

Offline The Skald

  • Creator
  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 36
  • *Frolics Away!*
Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« on: April 08, 2018, 10:28:27 PM »
This is a special side quest for certain participants of The Hounding back in October, as a thank-you for taking the risk. Normally characters are never seen again if caught by the hunters, but this being the inaugural year of the event these players are getting something special.

The details discovered in this event is privy to only these characters outside of Virtuosos when it comes to IC knowledge as part of an ongoing 'mystery' as of this posting 4/8/18

These players will receive the Out of the Bag quest reward badge in profile.
-------------

The world was a dark void and humid warm and pulsating as though it was breathing around them. They waited around endlessly alone and separated until gravity's sights were suddenly set upon them and a rip opened up beneath them. Though separated for countless hours-- perhaps weeks or months-- they were suddenly together, dumped unceremoniously from the height of trees down onto the ground. Looking around they would find the air still and monochrome. Black twisted branches grasped with gnarled fingers for the sky nearly blocking it out but through the small gaps they could see a grey peeking through like millions of watching eyes.

They were alone together. The world was eerily still, or at least felt that way despite the rustling in the flora around them. It was just random and sparce enough that often it would feel as though they were being stalked...  by the very dogs that had raucously chased them before, possibly. Or maybe something more cunning?

Something was very wrong with the setting...

Offline The Plague Doctor

  • Fledgling
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • "..........."
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 05:38:25 AM »
It was warm. A tropical heat in fact. The bag he was in almost seemed to drone with either a heartbeat or intake of air, he was not sure which but it felt as if the very air around him was alive. Did his cloak swollow him whole again?

A brief shift awakened him fully and reminded him just what situation was in and that he was not inside his cloak mimic. In fact, he was likely very far away from his cloak.
 The shift had caused his arm to throb in pain from where it was torn to shreds by one of the hounds. He was glad that that was his only injury but with how bad it felt, he guessed he was out for longer than he should have been.
He tore a sleeve off of his shirt and started to clean the wound as best he could but it was already festered. He felt it through his whole body. Who knows how long he was in this place but it looked like he would have to cut this one off pretty soon to stop the infection from spreading.

He had finished with the wound as best he could until the material that he was trapped in suddenly gave way and he toppled through the air.
The ground rushed up to meet him all too fast and he barely had the chance to curl up in a ball or move his masked face out of the way. He curled up just intime as his back collided hard against the ground and shoved a deep groan of pain from his mouth, his already damaged spine taking even more damage.

Agonisingly slow, the demon plague doctor sat up and looked around, instantly on edge about his surroundings. The trees looked like the hands of tortured corpses that reached up to the Angels above for help. It felt as if those trees would bend down at any moment and snap their fingers around him to crush him to his death. Something was alive nearby. Something or everything!
The doctor slowly reached behind him out of habbit but was only painfully reminded that his cloak was no longer on his back. Nor was any of his we opals or medicines and tools that was attached to the inside of the cloak. No way to protect himself, no way to figure out where he was or where he had to go to get away from this place. It made the hair at the back of his neck stand on end as he adjusted his goggles to see better into the dark shadows between the trees.

Offline KeithBojangles

  • Fledgling
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • ~*Weep for the dead*~
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 03:28:42 PM »
Would give anything to hear the witty banter of the three ghost and the advise being cussed out at him by Mr Skull. Silence was truly, maddening and it was near driving him insane, more insane then he already was. So would that make him then, sane?

Out of the darkness, out of the bag. There he was laying on his back looking upwards at sky when the 'dropping' out had come to an end. If he did feel pain, he wasn't showing it as he slowly raised himself off the ground like a zombie. The crazed smile that was on his face was gone replaced by a thoughtful one as his head would turn this and that. Odd, something was missing as well so his hands did lift up to find his hat was missing.

"Confound it confetti," he hisses in anger and takes a deep breath that wasn't truly needed to breath but to calm himself down, "Had to just want to know what the Hounding was..."

A light 'tickle'? would be felt as he feels that he was being watched. Stalked more like it. So slowly getting to his feet he would spin about to get a better look of the place. It was....all wrong. Felt wrong. All he had on him was the grave keepers clothes he always wears and the leather 'armor' under it. If anything was consider a weapon, would be the many little knives he had hidden on his body to help him cut bodies up. Mr Skull, not here so could not be used. So, whatever else could be used as a weapon or defense came with him remembering magic spells. Or his darker than dark self.

"Hello........" Not a yell but loud enough as he would spin again and maybe spot another person? "Any one else got caught along with...me...us?"

Offline Alastride

  • Fledgling
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • *cries loudly*
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
By the heat and movement of the tight place he had been shoved into, it was only natural for the crybaby tailor to assume he’d been devoured. On and off, he broke into tears and sobs, completely losing track of time while occasionally cursing his bad luck.

If it was still bad luck that had him suddenly falling from the dark place to the ground, he couldn't tell, the slight man giving a choked-up yelp as he fell, then hit the ground with a thump and several quiet jingling sounds.

He sat up immediately, his wide eyes rimmed with red searching upwards for whatever had dropped him, or where he had fell from, only to find nothing there.

Something was hurting him, now that the silence enveloped him as much as the dark arms of the trees above. With shaking hands, he reached into his breast pocket, feeling the small, thin box inside and hearing the soft tap of metal. His sewing needles had popped out of the box with the impact.

Inventory. After a few prey-like glances around him, he got to counting. Needles were stacked in their rightful place, the tiny pair of sharp scissors right beside it. Three half-inch tall spools of thread in one pants pocket, his keys, wallet and spare buttons distributed in the others.

He flinched as he heard a sudden call, stiffening up and snapping his head towards the sound as his heart went into overdrive. It could have been a trap, much like in the fairy tales he grew up on, but what else did he have to do?

“Here.” He shouted, though likely quieter than he should have been. “Over here.”

He’d wait for whatever it was to approach him, not the other way around in case he was being led to his own demise. Again he took out his scissors, and held them as if he meant to stab something.

Offline The Skald

  • Creator
  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 36
  • *Frolics Away!*
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 11:45:50 AM »
The forest answered in a echo, distant and forlorn, and from all around them. It was still obvious that it was only their voices reflected, as brief as it were, but that can be enough of a spook for already tense and frightened people. The feeling of being watched never went away even as they gathered, but there was movement in the unseen shrubbery that encouraged them to move forward, that hanging around in one spot would be less safe then at least traversing the unknown.

Looking around, they might see eyes between the leaves. Looking again, it was just light in the gaps. The red light continued to bleed down from the sky, making the gnarled branches even darker and blending shapes together into one enclosing mass. There were signs of animals, unseen, rare, their movements seemingly on cue just to cause you to jump.

One more glance to where you once thought you saw eyes would find you seeing a new shape added to the mass. It didn't move, at least while you were looking at it, because the next time you blinked it was a little larger-- as if closer.

Upon meeting up you have a few immediate options:

  • Attempt to help Doctor to stablize *
  • Investigate the growing shadow *
  • Head in a direction.

The actions with an * will need the game's event rolls, which I'll explain here:

The players each start with a score of 3/9. For events that require a roll you will be allowed to roll up to 3 d10's. However, should you roll a 1 on any of them... you will gain a point for every dice you rolled. The highest die will determine your success. I will add UP TO +5 to highest roll if you can argue a specialty within the post you make your attempt, so long as it relates. So long as this total score is below your current score, you will succeed.

Once you reach 9 you will obtain a secondary points... for every point above 9 you are incurring 'damage' that will persist past this event... the damage will mostly be mental, but can be physical depending on how you approach and fail obstacles. I will keep your scores in each of my posts so don't worry!

Can you lower the score? Not for this. I will end the game once everyone hits 9. Everyone. Someone might end up above 9 because of that ;)


Offline The Plague Doctor

  • Fledgling
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • "..........."
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
The doctor looked up isharply when the echoes were heard of two different voices. It sounded like the soared came from all around him and he scrambled backwards to get against anything solid that would help him stand be it a tree or a monster.

Everything was dark, eerie and unsettling. But in the echoed voices he could hear the unsettled panic. He dug his claws into something hard and assumed it was a tree behind him, so with much effort, he gritting his teeth and pulled himself to an unstable stand.

The action made him feel light headed and caused a speckled darkness to creep into the corners of his vision. The lenses of his goggles already made everything darker as it was, only since he was several times more sensative to light than most. The darkening vision however was a threat of unconscious, which would not serve him well in this hour.
He let his head tip back and rest against the trunk of a withered tree and slowed his breath so that he could regain himself to some extent.

When he opened his eyes again, he twitched. One of the shadows he noticed between the trees were larger, more looming than what he remembered it. It was soon forgotten however when a cold streak of fear shot through his spine and he leaped away from the tree he had leaned in for behind it was erratic rustles within the shadows.

His lips pulled tight over his skull and his jaw clenched as he spun around, one clawed hand raised in defence when he remembered the larger shadow that seemed to be a man. He retreated slowly, as sweat dampened his clothes. He had recognised one of the voices, and decided to find it's source but thankfully it was not much of a search before he found Alastride.  He figured their chances of surviving this was better in numbers, especially when he already had some form of familiarity with the long legged Tailor, even if their introduction was brief and under dire circumstances.

The doctor staggered away from the shadow, building more space between him and it to get to Alastride. It was the only good thing he had experienced since he fell from the bag, but the doctor did not call out. If he spoke it would only remove his strength from regenerating blood as fast as it was spilling out but the process was difficult and left him weak.

Offline Kodiak

  • Fledgling
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 08:34:43 PM »
If it were possible to deathgrip the tiny pair of scissors in hand, he would have, the sounds of rustling in the bushes making his head snap this way and that, ever on the lookout for another hound...or worse. Once or twice Alastride thought he’d seen the eyes of those hounds, but was more concerned with what could have been a dark rider stalking the area, or him.

Either way, the tailor rose slowly to his feet, scanning the area around him again only to let out a startled yelp at The Doctor's approach. A million thoughts ran through his mind. That the staggering form was one of ‘them’, that it was a puppet corpse, an ‘anglerfish’, bait. But even he managed to calm himself, simply taking a few steps backwards with his scissors at ready. Attempted ferocity for a man who's tears still ran wet down his jaw.

Another person showed up, one he didn't recognize, spouting some cheery nonsense about…

“Why would anyone want to get caught?” He found himself asking, almost interrogating, though his legs shook and his fingers pressed white with his grip. His gaze flicked back between what he figured was a plague doctor and..whatever the other thing was supposed to be, only vaguely noting that the former was injured.

Offline KeithBojangles

  • Fledgling
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • ~*Weep for the dead*~
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 04:22:32 PM »
"Oh why indeed," he says in a cheery manner before chuckling but then would stop and become somewhat serious, "Well when you live as long as I have, you want to experience something new. Also not many books that recall the tales of the Hounding are still read. So here I am, living it...." At that he would chuckle and note that one was jumpy holding scissors while the other, eyes did narrow behind his bangs, was a bit giving off a certain vibe.

Only a few did survive the Hounding being caught and what was left to be read was a bit, out there. So why not come out and get caught to witness what goes on? After all it was as if The Skald wanted him out here, much to his delight himself, when the war was about to start. He gave what he knew out to Jackie, Riz, and a few other's who did ask. Now it was time for him to have some fun be it staying alive or possibly dying now while here.

"Encase someone does manage to live this out, Keith Bojangles undertaker in Chanson," Would how but what was the point? As his eyes would flash yellow as he looks towards the bushes growing more with shadow like figures, "Again, who wants to be party leader?!"

Offline The Skald

  • Creator
  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 36
  • *Frolics Away!*
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
Quote
Doctor: 3/9
Alastride: 3/9
Keith: 3/9

When the three met up things became far more silent than before. The natural rustling had fallen still, as though because they had all conviened together in one spot their respective predators were just lying in wait for their guard to go down. No breeze, the eyes had gone away visually but could still be felt, like a chill on the back of their neck that remained persistent throughout their conversation.

Before too much time, however, the caw of a raven.

They couldn't sit here and squabble or decide on anything in too much time. It was not going to allow them to remain in one spot for long.

Another caw, like a count down. The natural rustling returned.

Then another minutes later... the eyes visible just in their peripherals. More rustling.

[Read previous post for options and roll instructions]

Offline The Plague Doctor

  • Fledgling
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • "..........."
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 10:28:26 PM »
Rolled 3d10 : 9, 8, 3, total 20

Offline The Plague Doctor

  • Fledgling
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • "..........."
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 10:51:23 PM »
The Doctor watched in silence as another approached. It seemed to be a very cheery male. Too cheery. He did not trust people that were all smiles and chuckles, and what's more, the man spoke too much already, even in this short time they met.

He completely ignored the name that the new stranger called himself by and instead tore a piece from his shirt and tied it firmly around the top of his arm to stop the blood flow in case it was to spread a form of infection through his body which he did not want to deal with.

Also ignored was the question of who should be the leader. The doctor could not care any less about who leads who around. Either way, if someone ordered him around, he would likely not comply unless it was in his best interest and if it was logical.

Once finished, the Doctor regarded the three of them briefly. The long-legged tailer, the undertaker, and the shadow. Which reminded him. The shadow figure had startled him and still remained silent. Suspiciously but with caution, he pushed past Alastride and Keith to investigate the figure before them.

Offline KeithBojangles

  • Fledgling
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • ~*Weep for the dead*~
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 11:45:39 PM »
Rolled 3d20 : 4, 15, 8, total 27
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:50:54 PM by KeithBojangles »

Offline KeithBojangles

  • Fledgling
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • ~*Weep for the dead*~
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 12:00:02 AM »
"Kill joys," he mutters to himself and then sighs. For one who should be used to the sound of silence, he wasn't much liking it. A reason why he didn't silence the chit chatting ghost as most necromancers would. Just to have peace and quite to work, "Hm?" Seeing one of the others walk off to look at the ever growing shadow Keith would glance back and forth between the two males. Already lost the pretty wood nymph...could another end up disappearing too?

"Oh well," Turning on his heel he would follow after the other to investigate the shadow. If there was a sense of 'doom', he wasn't showing it. After all he wanted to know what the hounding really was and he was going to keep going to find out. Even if that meant departing this word to well, whatever The Skald felt Keith should just 'be' afterwards.

"Good shadow, bad shadow, bites or no's off one's head?" If the ghost where here, one would be screaming to get ready to run. the other two would draw their ghostly swords and prepare for better. Sadly, Mr Skull was not here so he would have to use something else as a weapon. So an idea popped into his head as the other was further ahead to start pooling magically energy between his hands, if he could. Otherwise, he was going to try his best to punch something.

Offline The Skald

  • Creator
  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 36
  • *Frolics Away!*
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 01:33:33 PM »
No damages were accrued this round.

Doc: 3/9
Alastride: 3/9
Keith: 3/9
-----------------


The magic swelling between the gravekeeper's hands seemed to affect the world around them. For strobing, disorienting flashes the red sky appeared between the trees-- suggesting that the forest was not as deep as they thought or felt. Hinting at hidden figures among them. Or it could be another illusion as the crow sounded once again, a more final I-Told-You-So sort of caw before the rustling of its wings lifted it from whatever branch it had been hidden upon. The abrupt flutter coming somewhere behind them and startling or stirring things back there as well.  A hulking shape split from the underbrush, looming closer like a herding dog prepared to do more than threaten the cows to go their rightful way.

Before them, as the crow-masked doctor inched closer to exactly what the wilds wanted to draw him into, the strange eyes that were always just to the edge of their line of sight, all designed to madden and confound. When they seemed curious, it threw them a bone by rustling very specifically just beyond their ability to see, a travelling sound and motion as though whatever it was, was showing them a path.

Or perhaps a trap. Before it seemed it was chasing them, after all. As the doctor thought, suspicious.

They still did not know where they were, where they needed to go... or what, if anything, was after them.  Faintly echoing in the distance, a horn, one they have heard before during the blood moon, and the accompanying brays of hounds.

1 - Continue? (1-3 d10)
2 - Resume original path (1-3 d10)

Offline The Plague Doctor

  • Fledgling
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • "..........."
Re: Out of the Bag (Hounding 2017 Bonus)
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 06:43:42 PM »
Rolled 3d10 : 6, 4, 9, total 19

To continue